How to Hire an Online Community Manager
by Shara Karasic
Top 25 Questions to Ask a Potential Community Hire
- What online communities are you an active member of?
- What is the last community conference you attended?
- Name 3 top ways to improve communityname.
- How do you ensure high quality content in a community?
- Name 3 ways to kill a community.
- Name 3 ways to nourish a community.
- Name community experts you admire and tell me why you admire them.
- What technology would you use for a message board?
- What technology would you use for a social network?
- Have you ever customized community technology?
- What forms of community status have you found to work well?
- What is important in terms of managing community leaders?
- How does design and user interface of a site relate to its community? How can design enhance or detract from a community?
- Name ways to build traffic to a community.
- What are traffic-building methods you wouldn't use?
- What do you see as the top emerging trend in online community and social networking?
- Explain how serendipidity can improve a community.
- What methodology do you use to translate community ideas into site features? Describe your process.
- What is the relationship between community and content on a site?
- What does a first-time member need to get in order to return to communityname?
- How do you create an audience for a blog?
- What are important do's and don't's for social media optimization and marketing?
- What is unique about communitytype in terms of its member needs?
- How do you best evangelize your community within a company?
- How do you measure a community?
To tell me about a community site, resource, or expert for possible inclusion on my online community resource list, or if you're interested in an online community/social media/social networking project, consulting, or collaboration, email me at skarasic[at]yahoo.com.
- see the official shara karasic resume or my guide to online community or my main site -
last updated: july 24, 2007